What are Meta Tags on the Internet and where is their place within the HTML Structure of a web page?
In the previous posts we have dealt with the way how to choose keywords, how to use keywords in Page Titles, how to write Description for your web page.
Our main question is “what are Meta Tags” today, so, we’ll examine them from inside, together with the HTML Structure of a web page. Meta Tags and HTML structure of a web page are close “friends”, this is why we’ll analyze both.
Let’s see the HTML structure of a web page first!
In order to explain the elements inside, I’ll show you a basic HTML structure, so it will contain a limited HTML only. Later (below), I’ll give you more explanation about other Meta Tags. If you create a web page, this looks like as follows:
<meta http-equiv=”content-type” content=”text/html; charset=utf-8″>
<title>Your Title in max. 60 characters</title>
<meta name=”description” content=”Your Description, max. 150 chars”>
<meta name=”keywords” content=”Your Keywords, max. 814 chars”>
<meta name=”language” content=”en-us” />
<meta name=”country” content=”USA” />
Your valuable Viewable content
This is a minimum requirement for creating a web page. The opening <html> and closing </html> tags will tell the search engines the coding was made in HTML.
Let’s see the detailed Meta Tags now!
As you can observe it, there is a <head> </head> section below the opening <html> tag. We’ll examine the content there. This is the correct place of the Meta Tags. In a basic HTML Structure The Meta Tags consist of:
1. Content Type: text and HTML, coded in UTF-8
2. Title: The current Title of your particular web page
3. Description – with the content you write about your product or service, max. 150 characters – Compulsory to use
4. Keywords – with the keywords you assigned to your Title, Description and Content – Compulsory to use
5. Language Code: <meta content=’en-us’ name=’language’/> – More than recommended to use
6. Country: <meta content=’USA’ name=’country’/> – More than recommended to use
7. Other Meta Tags: however, it did not displayed it, there can be other meta tags in this section, that is between <head></head>. For example:
– Google Site Verification Code (e.g.: <meta name=”google-site-verification” content=”Your Google Site Verification Code” />
– Bing Verification Tracking code (e.g.: <meta name=”msvalidate.01″ content=”Your Bing Validation Code” />)
– Alexa Verification Code (e.g.: <meta name=”alexaVerifyID” content=”YOur Alexa Verificaton Code” />)
– Other Tracking codes (if any)
– Instructions for Web Crawlers (e.g.: <meta name=”robots” content=”noindex, nofollow” /> This command will disallow indexing and following the page. NEVER use this if you want your site to be indexed, use it ONLY if you want to avoid it! Normally, you don’t use any instructions for “robots” that is the default is: “index, follow”.)
8. Other codes
– Author verification code for Google+, e.g. mine: <link href=‘https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GyulaOlah/about‘ rel=’author’/>
– Publisher Verification Code for Google+, e-g- mine: <link href=‘https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GyulaOlah/posts‘ rel=’publisher’/>
– Another Custom Codes (if any)
Summary, and the things you must know concerning Meta Tags and e.g. WordPress software:
Your final structure may differ from the above given version, especially if you use WordPress Software (e.g. more <meta> tags, generated by the software itself), but the basics of placing Meta Tags is the same. WordPress will generate you these tags, but will not able to fill out the necessary gaps, that is add the text content of your Title, Meta Description and Keywords Tags.
So, the high quality software is not enough itself for giving you the exact final results: you are the one who have to be aware the importance of these Meta Tags, and it is your responsibility to give the correct data for your own success.
Last, but not least, some pieces of advice concerning our main topic:
– If you want to know more about the topic “what are Meta Tags?”, don’t miss out on visiting my page on this site: The Importance And Usage Of Meta Tags, Content HTML To Get Higher Ranking where I’ll show you a real-time search engine optimization application demo.
– If you want to check the results of your well-done work, just use the Free Meta Tag Analyzer And Search Engine Visibility Meter, also on this site.
What are Meta Tags? I hope I could help you with this little explanation and could contribute to your better understanding.
Thanks for reading!
SEOprofiler is a cool web-based SEO software tool that helps you to get high rankings on Google, Yahoo and Bing. You can also check the backlinks, Google rankings and Google AdWords of any website for free. Just enter a domain name in the following search box:
Just another complex SEO Solution – SEO Rank Monitor (Try it for 14 Days FREE!):